On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

So long, Snowflake.

4/21/10
working on leather orders down by the river






Walter and I went to take pictures down by an old barn and train tracks

(photo by Walter)
Me and Keith



It's 10:30am and I haven't even tacked up Soj yet, but we are going to head out before too long. We're only going 20 miles today so I can leave a little later. We have 40 miles to St. Johns so we are going to split the mileage between 2 days. Soj and I covered 89 miles in 3 days and most of what was uphill so we are going to take it a little easier the next two days and then probably pick it up again a bit after St. John's.

I am starting to feel a little worn, but okay. I wouldn't cry if I didn't have to ride today though to tell the truth. Once I'm up and on him it will be fine, but I guess I would rather sit here on this couch than go tack him up. It's so windy outside too.

Walter says it's going to be "freeze your water bottle" cold out tonight. It's supposed to drop to 25 or 30 degrees tonight. MmmmmmBLAHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't want to!!!!! We have had pretty much perfect weather for most of this ride though so I can't really complain.

Last night we had dinner with Keith, Darlene, and their daughter, Lexi. It was a wonderful dinner and we will really miss their company. They told us we should stay another day because it's going to be so cold and OH! the temptation!!! Nah, we're going though...were going.....we're goinnggggggggg.....................

We're not losing steam though....just a little off today. I enjoy the people we are with so much too and we never feel like we get enough time with them...and the land here is gorgeous...not in this town so much, not at all in the slightest bit in this town, but right here on the Merrill's land is like a little Paradise. There are fields and yellow flowers and big beautiful trees down by the river and the sweetest horses running around.

It's not like it's sunny anyway though today. It's chilly and windy. We got the best of it yesterday when we were able to work in the sun on some leather orders. Today wouldn't be the same. But there are always movies to watch....nah, no....I'm going...We couldn't watch a movie anyway really-too much video editing and what not to do.

This entry stinks. I'm just blabbing....stalling!!

Yesterday we went around and took some pictures of a cool old barn and silo and the train tracks. I'll post those. I think pictures will be more interesting than my words this morning! I might not be able to post for a couple of days because we are camping again...I'll check in on my phone though....









No comments:

Post a Comment