On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

rain rain go away!!!!!

4/21/10

Walter just got into the tent wet and cold. We are on someone's land but we are hidden in these shrubby trees. Walter is playing with the ipod and asked "what's good rainy music? In all of this mess we still have Department of Eagles playing, Walter just handed me a hazelnut Ferrero Rocher chocolate and red wine. Soj is bundled up warm thanks to Athea back in CA and is surprisingly calm considering the rain and crazy wind. It is pretty cold out, but Walter made this tent nice and warm. We are going to read "Farewell to Arms" to each other.
Wow, it's seriously windy. Good thing I have a level headed horse.
Tomorrow we ride 25 miles to St. John's. I think we are staying at the Fair grounds.
On the phone now. If we're lucky we will find internet tomorrow. Soj has a corral tomorrow night so we can explore the area a bit.
Walter is looking over my shoulder and he just said, " I thought you were going to say 'if we're alive tomorrow...when morning breaks'."
Alright. Time to brush my teeth so my cap doesn't stain.
Oooooohhhhhweeeeee!!!! It's windy and rainy AND we can see our breath. Walter just said he doesn't know how much camping I've done in the rain, but there is one important lesson...don't touch the walls of the tent.


Until tomorrow.......goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment