On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

A little movie for you...

The sun really is out today! It's perfect outside!! Walter and I are in a great little crepe and creamery place right now in Holidaysburg, PA. We may have spent a bit too much on my cheesecake ice cream and his coffee ice cream, but I was craving it and (oh man!!) was it ever good!

Tomorrow is a big riding day...maybe 35 miles. If it's too much then we will stop half way if we can find a place. We've done over 35 miles in one day so I think we can do it, but it's not much fun...especially since before today we rode 6 days in a row. Walter's mom and stepfather are going to be here tomorrow night though so we are trying to get Soj up to Tyrone because we know he will have a good place to stay there while we take Sunday off to spend with family.

Walter's parents are driving, not flying!! It's cool that we've come far enough now that they can actually drive to visit from their home in Rhode Island. It's an 8 hour drive, mind you, but still!
Walter, Soj, and I are doing our best to get home and still have a little time to get the house ready before winter sets in....

Here is a little picture movie I put together from Donna's house back at the end of West Virginia to the campground called Wendy World in Confluence, to John and Kait's in Centerville, to Marsha's in Berlin, to Springhouse Stables in Bedford, to where we are now in Claysburg. This is a quick, cute way to get up to date on the photos since I fell behind a bit on internet stuff!





10 comments:

  1. Awesome photo collage! Thanks for sharing. Walter sure looks happy in the cowboy hat.

    I sure hope I get the opportunity to meet you three (and your family) someday. I have to admit to a slight twinge of envy for those who have had the opportunity along your ride. Maybe someday our paths will cross. I'd just love to pick up some nuggets of wisdom - from Sojourner! What a magnificent horse. We can learn so much from them (living in the present, enjoying good food and fresh water, being true to ourselves, etc.).

    Ride On! I should think that 35 miles wouldn't be too hard in cool fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Hollidaysburg to Tyrone will be a beautiful ride for you (I love traveling that route as it's not too far from where I grew up in Belleville. Stop by DelGrosso's between Altoona and Tyrone and try some meatballs and sauce! You'll love them both! If you aren't up for the meatballs, the sauce is good for dipping bread.), and the weather in central PA is going to be gorgeous tomorrow. Enjoy your precious time with family.

    Walter~ You look soooo happy playing with the hat! It's nice to see your spirit and fun shine through in the video.

    ~Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, that's MY massive cat! awesome montage.

    It looks like Kait and I will be relocating to my hometown of Louisville, KY in the very near future. Pretty far from New Hampshire, but nothing's too far for people like us. I'm terrified of moving back out of the country lifestyle, and I've only been out here for a little over a year!

    And I LOVE the idea of an artist's haven in the country, maybe with lots of little log cabins full of friends and free spirits and creative types. Keep the dream alive, and keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linny,

    I've been so busy and am just catching up on your blog now. As always I have tears welling up in my eyes and a smile on my face. I'm so glad you and Walter had some wonderful quality time together over his birthday. Happy Belated Birthday Walter!

    I've also experienced the differences between the east and west attitudes and lifestyles in this country. You would think the pioneers crossing the country would have gotten harder on thier journey, but goes to show what a long journey can teach you...

    I still think of you every day and am often sharing your story with someone new. You are so close now!!!!! Enjoy the fantastic fall weather and keep up that amazing attitude!

    Hugs from NH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you have to move out of the country for a time, John. It really gets into your blood and spirit, doesn't it.

    I left a career with a wonderful company that I'd just celebrated my 20th anniversary with because my job got transferred to New York City. A wonderful city no doubt, but we just couldn't imagine leaving our rural home. I joked that the reason was because I just didn't see how my Magnificent Steed Buster could fit in the elevator up to our penthouse apartment. :)

    Just look at it as a temporary move while you four make plans for your artists colony!

    So glad you got to meet the trio. It sounds like you're all kindred souls. And all along the journey (I've been following since the start) the feelings of hosts (who have made posts here) have been the same when they leave the next morning - "NO! Come back! Stay for a month! Move here!"

    All best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful. I love this song... New England is waiting for you. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 35 miles will be a piece of cake for y'all.
    Oh....by the way... Joshua from the Lawton Constitution says hello to you..I gave him an update about where you are. Mark and I just talked to him a few minutes ago from our tent. :)

    Happy Trails!
    Mark and Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. And congratulations to Megan and Mark on starting their long ride today!!!!! Oklahoma to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool. Loved the way you did the movie. Wonder what that cat was thinking when it was looking at Walter? Continued safe travels to you guys. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the "movie." I can see Walter saying "ok; enough" as you got those shots in the cab of the truck. Great photos overall.

    ReplyDelete