On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

Custom Latigo Leather Guitar Strap

6/26/10

I've made a guitar strap here for a lovely trio in Canada.
I'm trying to work from the trail a bit...you know,
to keep the old chops up.

I really miss the leather shop and music, all the things that consumed my
time before this ride.

We have been collecting things along the trail...mostly flowers that we dry in books and some things I find at
thrift stores that I can incorporate into cuffs and bags when I get back...

I want to make a little hobbit hut. You know, one of those houses out of hay bales that you
cover with mud.
Like this...

This little hut is near where my best friend and her fiance used to live in Newfane, Vermont. You had to cross a little wooden bridge over the river to get to it.
Right behind Rick there is the river. It's the cutest little place ever and a perfect design for a leather shop!
And Sojourner can be right outside the window.

"Hold On" guitar strap...


4 comments:

  1. The love of my life can tell you all about building you a straw bale house...he has built a few in his lifetime.

    Oops...I forgot to complete my thought. THere is ONE ranch that I know of...there are others along the way...just not as close to OK5 or OK36 and/or they are folks I don't know personally.

    Rest up, enjoy and stay hyrdrated..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the strap. It's absolutely beautiful and means a lot to us. You are a true artiste and adventurer!

    Much appreciation,

    Monique, Jay and baby Finley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like quite an adventure you are on. I don't think you could have picked a better breed of horse to undertake it with. Lots of luck in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Monique! You are very welcome! It's going in the mail today. :) We are resting today in Lawton, OK.

    ReplyDelete