On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

The place for coffee if you are traveling near Mountainair, New Mexico

5/23/10

http://www.indigomesamusic.com/alpinealley/

Just a quick update because we have to get out on the road, but I have lots to tell when I get a little more time...

Last night The Oak Tree Inn donated a room to us which really helped a lot. I was feeling pretty sick and I feel much better this morning. Soj is right next store at a ranch.
We are going off into a rough few days now though. We thought the desert in CA would be hard, but at least there we had beautiful camping. This is just a long 60 mile stretch of nothing and fences. We are riding on the shoulder and I think we might just have to knock on some doors to fill up our water buckets and maybe sleep.

Anyway, I'm off to get a cup of coffee at the little diner here and pump myself up for this 60 miles!

Oh! First (and I will talk about this more later), EasyCare, Inc. sent us some Old Mac G2's for Soj's little feet and also another set of Easyboot Epics.
Soj has been in Epics since the start of the ride and they finally gave way the other day. Easyboot sent out these boots the same day so they were waiting for us in the next town. I am so taken by this company. They were right there for us when we needed them.
I LOVE the Old Mac's. Soj has been in them for two days now and I am just thrilled with their performance. They don't rub and they don't come off. My biggest issue with boots is that they can be pretty hard to get on and off, but not these. They go on super easy, come off super easily, and once they are on they STAY on! We have already put them through the ringer in two days and they didn't budge a bit and show no signs of rubbing on Soj. It's just a great design all the way around. I'm thrilled with them and thrilled with this company. A million thank you's to them. :)

Alright...more to come!! Oh! And thank you for your pick me up comments. :) They helped. I'm feeling better...thank goodness for this Motel and the family next door watching Soj...just needed some good sleep.

4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you three and hoping that the 60 mile stretch has some surprising beauty in store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linny,

    Are they the Old Mac G2, or the original? I've been using easyboot bares, but getting pastern rubs... maybe I'll switch. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeni! They are the Old Mac G2's. I had that problem as well. I had to put sheep wool in and wrap them and I still had trouble...but these boots are amazing. Soj and I go into full gallops sometimes and trudge through all kinds of little obstacles and they stay put. I will always use this boot...plus it's all velcro so there aren't any wires to mess with and you don't have to strain yourself to clamp anything down. I would switch. I think you'll be happy with them. The sizing is a little different. Soj is a size 1 in epics and he is a size 4 with the Old Mac's. Get the gaiters with them though for sure...otherwise they could rub a bit, but the gaiters work perfectly. Great boot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linny! If anybody knows- you do, with a thousand plus miles under your belt or on your rear, one could say. ;)

    ReplyDelete