On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

need some pie from Pie Town!!!!

4/29/10

We had just gone to look at the view of the mesas in the morning before taking off. We camped at the top of a hill and if you walked up just a bit it opened up into what looked like a view from the movie "The Land Before Time". All it needed were some dinosaurs.



Sojourner is feeling a lot better today. He looks like he's back to his old self, whinnying for food and greeting us with bright eyes. We have decided to take a week here though. Larry and Jenny thought it would really do Soj good to give him the time to recoup again like we did in Joshua Tree. Larry thought it would probably be best to do something like this every 7 weeks or so...give him a decent chunk of time to rest his muscles and do nothing but eat, drink, and sleep all day. So, that's what we've decided on. I am working out some new things with his diet as well. I am going to try another grain made by Purina that will be easier to get all the way across. We have also started him on pellets because it's going to be hard to get the same hay across the country, but we can depend on the pellets to be available.

Larry and Jenny are teaching their first clinic of the season next week which they have invited us to attend with Sojourner. There is so much to learn from them so Walter and I agreed that it's an opportunity we shouldn't pass up. They have been so incredibly generous with their time, knowledge, and home. Stephen sure has found gems everywhere we go...even here in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico.

Right now we are in a little general store that is around the corner from the ranch and they actually have wireless internet! Walter and I really want some pie, but the little pie cafe is only open on the weekends so we will go tomorrow. Pie Town is pretty much closed down during the week. There isn't even a grocery store here, just this little general store.

The woman who owns this shop is fantastic and has shown me a picture of her "pride and joy" which is a Morgan horse, and told me all about her ma and pa. Her mom is under 5 feet tall and drives a massive truck. She has to sit on a bunch of pillows. Her pa owns this general store and the land around which they are turning into a campground. Her ma must be at least 75 so I bet she looks pretty cute hoisted up on pillows behind the wheel of a giant truck.

Alright...I'm off to raid pie town until I find a piece of pie somewhere....

Soj, Walter, Lin shadow
birds on the fence at sunrise off of CR6040 in New Mexico.
There was Y in the road at one point (on 6040) and Walter said he wasn't sure I would know which way to go. He figured I would have my compass out and would go the right way, but just in case he left me this sign....the "E" is made with an old cow patty. He said after he made the sign he parked a few miles up to wait for me like always and he was laughing to himself imagining some old farmer driving by and seeing the sign and then coming across Walter sitting there on the side of the road in his truck...just shaking his head as he drives by. :) ha!!

10 comments:

  1. Yes! I've heard of you before, though don't remember how! Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I did quite a bit of research on pelleted hay and I think I passed all of that along. I also sent Walter a list of potential sponsors who produce those feeds. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

    One thing I definitely figured out is that there is a key difference between hay pellets and hay cubes. They both provide 100% of the nutrients, but ONLY THE CUBES have fibers left that are long enough to replace regular roughage. The fibers have to physically be a certain length to encourage gut motility. In the pellets, they crush the fibers up too small to stimulate movement in the gut.

    Very important distinction although I suppose you can trust your hosts if they have other advice. I'm going on what I read in research, but I'm positive that I understood that correctly and it was coming from university research and the manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way, being able to attend their clinic is ABSOLUTELY worth waiting to head out. I read some comments on their website and you'll learn a ton from their clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that helps a lot, Tom. I will look for cubes. That sounds better! Any help you can offer with sponsorship would be awesome...maybe sending out a couple links for some of these people or something...only if it's not a bother. There is just so much to be done and any help is so, so appreciated.

    Nancy-I'm psyched that you contacted NPR! My dad did too, so if they get enough requests then maybe we can get something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's no bother, Linny. I'd love to contribute to this incredible adventure in as tangible a manner as time allows.

    So I'll assume that Walter isn't currently working on those leads? I just don't want to call someone and have them say "I just heard from a guy..." Frankly, e-mails alone probably won't get read. The marketing managers in most of these companies (I did that kind of work for a long time, but in a different industry) probably get 100 e-mails a day (not sponsorship requests, but just e-mails in general). A lot of them are just going to be deleted without being read.

    What I will do is call, try to reach the right person, talk a bit and ask for help, and then follow up with e-mail/links. If there is interest, then I'll put them in touch with you/Walter. I can definitely work on it for an hour or two here or there. It would be fun for me and I do have lots of experience with this sort of thing.

    Sound good? Like I said, I just don't want to step on Walter's toes.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, Walter just said "oh man, that would be a huge weight off my shoulders". So thank you and yes, please, anyone you can call is awesome and we are so grateful to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on it beginning tomorrow. I can't promise results of course, but I have done tons of this type of work during my career, so I definitely know how to approach sponsors, present them with the value to their business, follow up, etc. It can't hurt, and you can be assured that I'll position your journey in a very positive and professional manner.

    I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Linny Girl,
    So great to have your blog up and functioning again. I've missed you and feel like I just went thru withdrawals and now I can get my schedule back! I'm reading this later than usual but you have put a spark to my day, knowing that you are somewhere that you can rest and recoup. Sounds like Stephen did it again.
    I had been reading all about the area you have just ridden thru and although it sounded rather rough and perhaps a bit dangerous, I kept reminding myself that there are always going to be people that will cause harm to others. I just hope that you will remember that you do not always have to be polite and nice. Listen to your gut and if you feel the least bit apprehensive, make your escape, no matter how the person may react. Trust that instinct that makes the hair on your neck stand up, or your stomach clinch. As you have demonstrated, there are so many more good guys than bad but remember to stay alert and vigilant. So much for my motherly advise. Suffice it to say that I just had a glass of wine and feeling a bit protective and probably saying more than I need or should.
    I'm so excited for you and your experiences. Just know that I think of you every day.
    Love you
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy-It's so funny you say that, because a guy out on that dirt road said the same thing-to listen to my gut and respond if the hair on my neck sticks up! We will be careful and listen to our instincts. I don't know if you've seen my biceps, but.... ;)
    Love you too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linny... By the way, Pie Town gets its name from a dried up apple pie business in the 20's. They have a pie festival every second week of September! The "Daily Pie Cafe", was the subject of an article in the Smithsonian Magazine in February 2005.

    Also...in my 4 experiences in roaming several states by horse...different hay or grass won't hurt Soj. He is strong enough to handle what is thrown at him. There is plenty of grazing along the way with nice green grass. Bermuda hay is all along the ditches of Texas and Oklahoma: these states bale and sell it. Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia are the same. And also if I can be of any help while I am on hiatus, let me know...I am here for you cowgirl!

    Look up Frederick, Oklahoma...they are right on the border of Texas and Oklahoma in the SW corner. They are home of Long Riders Bud and Temple Abernathy. They rode from Frederick, Oklahoma to New York City at the ages of 9 and 5...and were UNCHAPERONED, without parents!

    They are the youngest long riders in history of having an adventure like yours. The folks in Frederick would LOVE to meet you if you travel in their direction (and my own selfish need to visit and put you up as we are close to there). Sharon Bennett, the Pres. of the Chamber of Commerce... would most likely put you on her radio show and the Lawton Constitution (circ. 100,000) would most likely want to do a story about your ride. The Walker Ranch and all those Frederick folks live and breathe LONG RIDER everything. Frederick's town slogan is "Where the Adventure Begins".

    Glad to see you all are resting for a week. I too found that riding 3 days and off 1 is the easiest as well. You can really gain miles and not be so exhausted to enjoy your hosts at the end of the day this way...

    ReplyDelete