On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

first night

3/1/10

Writing from phone. In l.a. very tired. 20 mile ride tomorrow to pasadena.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Go Sojourner, Linny, and Walter!

    Don't hesitate to sleep in today and start at noon. Life's about the journey after all. There is no destination.

    I hope you make it to NH and have a wonderful experience, but if you decide to stop and call it good somewhere along the way, that's just fine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have already past my home heading East to Pasadena but i can bring you some hay if you need it. Don't know your route but have horse friends around the country. email me @ suzigma@gmail.com or text at 818-470-2013 and let me know your route so can call friends. Will post your site on my Facebook
    btw I am a therapist and appreciate your wisdom about loss, family and healing
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. in Joshua Tree call Spin and Margie's Desert Hideaway. The will probably help you out with a room! Really nice social justice people

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so hard to sleep last night, I hope you were able to sleep. It is so incredible this journey you are starting out on. No matter what anyone said you had to try and make this dream of yours come true. I know the passion you have for this trip is born from your love of family and the people who have touched your life.You truly have the spirit of a pioneer woman.The news man said you were like a cross between Ellie Mae Clampart and Annie Oakely. Only what he did not see was the Audrey Heburn in you .You have wildness and energy of the old west(from poppy I am sure),but also an elegance and beauty that all who know you have experienced.I miss hearing yours and Caiti's beautiful voices singing throughout the house, and cannot wait to hear you make music together again soon. Hopefully we can all be at Danlin Hollow together with friends and family at the end of this adventure. No matter what you need you can call. If you or Soj get to tired or want to come home at anytime, you just come home.Wish Cait and I could drop by along the way to give you a back and leg rub!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mama, mama!! I need a rub!!!!!!!! Thank you for this letter-it did work!! You figured out how to post!! :) Pretty much nothing I do is possible without you and I thought about that a thousand times today. You're my strength and I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jackie! I hope we make it too, but it's nice to hear that it's okay to stop if we need to.
    Suzi-it was so wonderful to meet you. What a light you are!! I will send you an email soon....

    ReplyDelete