On March 1st, 2010, my friend Walter and I set off on an adventure with my Arabian horse, Sojourner. I rode Soj across America and Walter drove our little truck (with no trailer). The trip began in Los Angeles, California and successfully ended in Bath, New Hampshire 8 months and 14 days later. It was a 3,700 mile ride.

We rode in celebration of family and as an outreach to those dealing with divorce-related depression.

This ride tells a tale of love in many forms - through the people we meet along the way, our connection with the horse, with the land, and with each other.

As this blog goes on it gets more and more in depth with tons of photos and experiences. Snuggle in with a cup of tea and read this like a book. I have switched the blog around so it reads start to finish so you don't have to read backward (except the first entry).

Here is our story...

The Unicorn!!

2/25/10









I have to stay up most of the night tonight. I have so much leather stuff to finish up. I would like to go get my travel guitar tomorrow because I need to figure out how to attach it to the saddle, but Channel 4 news out of San Francisco is coming around lunch time because they heard I have a unicorn.

Sojourner stepped on my foot so solidly today. I mean he stood, leaned, and then twisted and then got confused at me yelling "nooooo!!!!! ahhhhh!!!" and he was SO hard to push off of me!!! In the end it didn't hurt all that much though. It just made me kind of mad. I was wearing little converse shoes. He is wearing rubber boots though and that actually helped a lot in keeping it from hurting me too much.

Anyway-I need to get to work on this guitar strap.
OH! One last thing-my fantastic step father, Stephen, has managed to find stops for Sojourner, Walter, and I every night of the way across CA! I'm psyched about that. Stephen's amazing. He taught me how to work with leather as well so he's been a huge part of making all of this possible for me.
We don't have stops in the desert though-we will just camp. That's going to be a long haul-a week of nothing-but the CHP is going to drive by to check on us every once in a while so that's cool.
Alright then! Off to paint!

2 comments:

  1. Buster (in my avatar) has stepped on my foot like that a few times. It was more scary than painful. The instant I felt the pressure coming on the foot, I was leaning on him and yelling for all I was worth.

    He was like "Geez, OK, OK! I was going to move over anyway in a second because my foot came down on a soft piece of wood or something... Just relax."

    Cool that CA is set. And especially cool that your friend can accompany you. That's good for both Sojourner and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah-it is scarier than painful, but I did have a massive horse break my foot once. Soj gets me with his head all the time too. He doesn't understand how big and hard he is compared to me. :)
    Yes-I am so happy to have Walter with me. He's heading here now. We leave tomorrow. I don't think you can feel totally, a hundred percent ready for this...I am psyched, but man.... !!

    ReplyDelete